Monday, 28 July 2014

Promo Post: Goodbye to You (A. J. Matthews' Top 5 Favorite Films)




This tour is organized by YA Bound BookTours.This tour will run from July 28th to August 8th.




Goodbye To You
by A.J. Matthews
Release Date: 07/01/14
Swoon Romance
New Adult


Goodreads:

Europe? Nope. Mexico? Nope. Key West?

Not me. This summer, I'm playing nursemaid to my sister. Yeah, I know. Relatively good looking twenty-two-year-olds don't spend the summer bedside in the cancer ward, but that's the plan - until my sister threatens me with bodily harm unless I get on the plane.

That's when I met him. He likes me. Really likes me. But more than that, he loves my boobs -- like can't get enough. I have no idea how to tell him that they'll be gone soon. Courtesy of a preventative double mastectomy. Yep. That's what testing positive for the breast cancer gene mutation will do to a girl.

But don't feel sorry for me. I'm enjoying him, holding on until the last possible minute, while I muster up the strength to tell him, and watch him walk away.

GOODBYE TO YOU is for older fans of John Green's THE FAULT IN OUR STARS. It's heart wrenching, funny, and real.





Top Five Favorite Movies

Only five? This is SO hard, you guys. Like, “I’ve been thinking about this for days and I’m still not sure” hard. My first job was at a movie theater, when I was fifteen. That’s when I fell in love with the idea of film as an art form-when I got to watch as many movies as I had time for, for just fifty cents each. (This was in the day of the VCR, when rentals were many dollars each and it took a year for stuff to get from theater to home. If you have to ask what a VCR is, well…now I feel really old.) I even at one time dreamed I would be a director (okay, I still do have this dream.) And my love of movies has definitely helped with my storytelling process.
I got to see some amazing movies over the nine years I spent in different jobs at the theater. Because I worked there, I saw some movies that my unrefined teenage self may have never paid full price to see. One of these is a favorite, and it still makes me all goosebump-shivery. I hope you enjoy my list-which is in no particular order, because choosing five was hard enough. Ranking them would have been the death of me!

PSYCHO (1960)
Often imitated, never elevated. (Although the television show BATES MOTEL is equal parts creepy and campy, and Freddie Highmore is fan-flippin’-tastic as a young Norman. I liiike it.) PSYCHO was my introduction to Alfred Hitchcock, and it set the bar so high. The popular horror movies of the 1980s, when I was a teenager, were bloody and graphic and often bereft of storyline and characterization. Not so PSYCHO. The film wasn’t graphic at all, but terrifying. And Norman Bates is still one of filmdom’s most memorable characters for a reason. Here’s an example of Tony Perkins’ amazing work:



WHEN HARRY MET SALLY… (1989)
Oh, this movie. I’ve seen it probably 100 times, and I love it for 100 different reasons. I’ve dissected it for college classes (gender-based communication styles,) wallowed in the sad scenes after break-ups, and reveled in the “true love” scenes while in a happy relationship. It asks the age-old question of whether men and women can ever truly be friends. The film seems to say “no,” and while I disagree (I am good friends with a guy I dated for three years shortly after this movie came out,) I can’t get enough of Harry, Sally, and the love that was meant to be. (Bonus: the soundtrack to the film was my introduction to Harry Connick Jr., with whom I’ve been having a secret affair for twenty-five years. Shhhhh. Don’t tell my husband. Or Harry’s wife, who happens to be a former Victoria’s Secret supermodel.)




A ROOM WITH A VIEW (1985)
This is one film I never would have watched had I not been working at the theater. A lush, lovely little British film based on an equally-impressive book, this movie introduced me to author E.M Forster, actor Julian Sands, and the incomparable Daniel Day-Lewis. Oh, let’s not forget Maggie Smith. And THE KISS. This kiss. Take a look.




CLUELESS (1995)
Five reasons:
1. A contemporary adaptation of Jane Austen’s EMMA .
2. Female director. Amy Heckerling is a genius.
3. Paul Rudd
4. Fantastic performances. Alicia Silverstone was an adorable revelation.
5. Paul Rudd. Oh. I already said that, didn’t I? Well, it’s worth repeating. Look at his smile in this clip!



And speaking of HAMLET…


HAMLET (1996)
This one is long, running a full four hours. It’s an unabridged version of the play, unlike most other movie versions. I love this film for so many reasons. I was an English major, and adore Shakespeare’s work. Kenneth Branagh, another long-time boyfriend, stars and directs, and the rest of the casting is genius. Kate Winslet, already a respected actor and on the cusp of super-stardom about a year before TITANIC, is luminous and heart-breaking as Ophelia. Surprising choices? Robin Williams and Billy Crystal in supporting roles. The exterior shots were filmed at Blenheim Palace, and the interiors, shot in a studio, are as stunning as the story and the actors. Take a look at this, Hamlet’s famous soliloquy, which reflects on the nature of life and death, filmed appropriately in a hall of mirrors.





What are some of your favorite films? I’m sure we probably share some favorites, even if they aren’t listed above.


About the Author:




I wrote my first book at six. A retelling of The Three Little Pigs, illustrated by my grandmother, the book was never picked up and was self-published instead, glued to cardboard with a cover fashioned from wallpaper scraps.

Today, I write stories featuring nice guys (or nice guys in-the-making) in between my other jobs writing research reports for a commercial real estate company, refereeing two young daughters, navigating the teen waters with a too-cute-for-his-own-good son, spoiling a neurotic cat, and making my darling, patient husband shake his head. I'm also an autism mom, chocolate enthusiast, sports-watcher, nacho-eater, and beer-drinker.


A Maryland native, I live in North Carolina now, but dreams of the beach fuel my fantasies, and my characters can often be found strolling in the sand or sailing along a coast.


Author Links:














1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for hosting me on my tour! This was a fun (but really hard) list to write. :)

    ReplyDelete